Deposit Checks in a Snap with our Mobile App

Wed, 19 Jun 2013

Introducing Webster Mobile Deposit, the quick and easy way to deposit checks anytime, anywhere -- with just a snap of your smartphone camera. Mobile deposit is the latest addition to our mobile app which already lets you check balances, make payments, transfer funds and more – from your personal or business accounts. Now you won’t have to make that extra trip to a banking center or ATM when you want to deposit a check. All you need is a smartphone and our app!

How to get started:

1. First, you need to enroll in online banking for access to our mobile app.

2. Next, download our app. (Current users must download updated version.)

3. To make a deposit, login to the app and select “Deposit”

Webster Bank mobile app

4. Snap a picture of the check with your phone. Make sure you endorse it and take a clear picture of both the front and back of your check.

deposit a check using your smartphone

5. Enter check amount and tap Deposit.

Deposit a check using your smartphone's camera

6. You’re done! We’ll do the rest.

Deposit Confirmation

You’ll receive a confirmation e-mail when your check is received. Once your check is processed, we’ll send you a status email.

Give it a try! We’d love to know what you think. With mobile deposits, banking when and where you want to has never been easier.

Webster Mobile Deposit is available for Android and iPhone users.Subject to eligibility requirements. Mobile Deposits available for Android and iPhone only. Apple and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.

Your email will not be published. *Required field

50 comment(s).

Juliette Rose
July 3, 2013 at 5:21 pm
This is a HUGE convenience for me (assuming it works - I just made my first deposit). I work two jobs and can never make it to my branch during the hours it's open. I get nervous going to the ATM at night, because I always think someone might sneak up on me! Depositing from my phone is magical!!! Literally!!! Thanks for jumping into this technology, Webster ... it's why we love you!
Nancy
July 10, 2013 at 9:44 am
This is a convenient and cool feature but I must admit, it takes longer to post then a conventional deposit. I hope with time this will catch on and become a quicker process.
September 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm
Hi Nancy. The hold times are the same when using the mobile deposit or when visiting a branch. All deposits made via the Webster Mobile Deposit service must be received by us by 5:00 pm EST, in order for such deposit to be credited on the business day it was transmitted. Please refer to your Deposit Account Disclosure for when funds will be made available. You can check out our account disclosure here: https://www.websteronline.com/disclosures/personal/P_DepositAcct_12.html Our FAQ page may also supply some additional help. You can view that here: http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ Thanks for writing in! Dawn
Karen
July 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm
I have waited for this for so long and ...nothing. I have made numerous attemps and it won't go thru. So disappointed.
Fuming
July 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm
I was very excited to learn about this. However, using it was a different story. it kept tell me that I must first log in to websteronline.com before using webster mobile banking. Given I have done mobile banking before, this renders the mobile app completely unusable for me.
July 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Hi Fuming, You may need to update your security questions on websteronline.com first to make them more secure for using the app. Here's some other useful tips on using the mobile app & check deposit feature: http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ Let us know if that works. Thanks, Dawn
July 29, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Hi Karen - try using these tips: http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ
Rick
July 29, 2013 at 5:19 pm
Yay! mobile deposits! But wait... it keeps asking me to retake the photos!!!! after 20+ attempts to take the photo, on a dark surface, and well lit it still says to try again. Then it kept saying to make sure the check was endorsed and try again. I'm a professional photographer so I think I can get it right. It would have been quicker to drive to a branch to deposit, which is what I'm doing anyway.
July 30, 2013 at 11:06 am
Hi Rick, We just posted some helpful FAQ's here: http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ Here are the tips for getting a good shot: How do I get the best image of the check using Webster Mobile Deposit? 1. Flatten the check and place it on a dark, non-reflective surface. Make sure there is enough light to distinguish the check from the background. If there is a reflection on the face of the check, move the check to avoid the reflection. 2. Line up the check with the horizontal and vertical guides provided and click the camera icon to take a picture. 3. The image will be displayed for you to review. If it is not readable, click "Retake" to retake the picture of the check. 4. If you can read the details on the check, click "Use" to keep the image. 5. If our system can't correctly interpret the writing on your check, you can deposit your check at any Webster banking center or ATM. Note: Please remember to endorse the check before you scan it. If you don't, the payor's bank may choose not to pay it and the deposit credit to your Webster account will be reversed. Let us know if that helps, and if not, we can give you a call or set up time to meet in person to help. Thanks, Dawn
madelyn
August 1, 2013 at 6:58 am
I am out of town at a conference and I thought this would be great, but alas, it did not work. The deposit "bar" remained grey. I thought perhaps the photo was not correct so I retook the photo and after 20 minutes, nothing. I am now running late for my meeting and I hope that Webster bank will not start charging me if checks start to bounce.
Candie
August 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm
How long does it take a check to clear?
August 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Hi Candie - here is some info from our FAQ's on how checks clear...you can click here to see the rest: http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ What is the deadline for funds to be credited on a business day when using Webster Mobile Deposit? All deposits made via the Webster Mobile Deposit service must be received by us by 5:00 pm EST, in order for such deposit to be credited on the business day it was transmitted. All deposits made via the Webster Mobile Deposit service received after such deadline (or received on a day other than a business day, i.e. Saturday, Sunday or banking holiday) shall be credited on the business day following such receipt. Please refer to your Deposit Account Disclosure for when funds will be made available.
August 1, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Hi Madelyn, We can give you a call to help you troubleshoot, or we can set up time in a banking center to have a banker help. We posted these FAQ's with tons of helpful info if you're having any issues: http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ If you'd like to email me to set something up, send me a msg at dmelesko@websterbank.com
Deyanira
August 2, 2013 at 12:21 am
Hello, between my husband and I we have at least 4 different accounts (checking and savings) with webster bank. I love this bank and since I travel quite a bit I was hoping I could make deposits via mobile banking .. but you do not have an app for the windows operating system... are you planning on making this app available for windows phone users? I would hate to have to change banks
August 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm
We are looking into adding a Windows app
NIKKI
August 5, 2013 at 10:50 am
Simply devine!!!! I have 3 accounts with Webster and this makes my banking experiences even more greater than they already were. I downloaded the app about 4 days ago and I have already started doing my deposits from my kitchen!! This is one of the smartest ideas for my Iphone and I would recommend to all bankers and banks.
August 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm
Hi Deyanira, We are definitely considering adding windows in the future but you can use our Mobile Web Site through your phone’s browser, which you can bookmarked for convenience. You can access the Mobile Banking site directly by going to mobile.WebsterOnline.com from your mobile phone browser. Thanks, Dawn
August 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm
Thanks Nikki! Great to hear.
SIMONE
August 9, 2013 at 9:58 am
MY APP HAS NOT UPDATED SO I CAN GET THE SNAP DEPOSITS WHAT IS GOING ON ?
Lost
August 9, 2013 at 10:54 am
I'm having a hard time finding the " Deposit Account Disclosure Agreement "...
August 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm
Hi Simone, Please update your app manually. For example, on an iphone, you would go to the app store and hit "update" on your app.
August 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm
Hi Lost - here are the links to our deposit account disclosures: Consumer: https://www.websteronline.com/disclosures/personal/P_DepositAcct_12.html Business: https://www.websteronline.com/disclosures/business/B_DepositAcct_9.html If that's not what you meant, please let me know.
Mike
August 14, 2013 at 5:08 pm
I just tried to deposit a check and i got the message that the check exceeds my limit. So what is my limit? I tried websterbank.com/mobil, but got a try again message.
August 14, 2013 at 5:13 pm
Hi Mike, Here is the info on limits from our FAQ's, which you can find here: : http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ We are working on increasing the limits as well. ----- Are there limits to how much I can deposit with Webster Mobile Deposit? You can deposit up to 5 checks in one business day, up to a total of $2,000. Over a 10 business day period, you can deposit up to 10 checks, up to a total of $2,500. We reserve the right to modify such limits from time to time or to impose different limits on certain customers. To view any modifications to such limits please visit www.websterbank.com/mobile. Refer to Terms of Service for additional details
heather
August 16, 2013 at 3:19 pm
What do you do with the check once it is deposited through your mobile app?
August 19, 2013 at 11:18 am
Hi Heahter - Once you know the check has been deposited into your account, write "Deposited" on the front and keep it for your records for 14 days, then you can destroy the check after 14 days.
Kelly Obrien
August 22, 2013 at 1:46 pm
I deposited my check through the app.. It has been processed and approved.. When are my funds available?
August 22, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Hi Kelly, We made FAQ's to help answer questions here: http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ Here's the info about funds availability: What is the deadline for funds to be credited on a business day when using Webster Mobile Deposit? All deposits made via the Webster Mobile Deposit service must be received by us by 5:00 pm EST, in order for such deposit to be credited on the business day it was transmitted. All deposits made via the Webster Mobile Deposit service received after such deadline (or received on a day other than a business day, i.e. Saturday, Sunday or banking holiday) shall be credited on the business day following such receipt. Please refer to your Deposit Account Disclosure for when funds will be made available. How will deposits made with Webster Mobile Deposit appear in my account listing? Mobile banking deposits will appear as memo pending transactions throughout the day. Memo posting times are: 10:00 am 12:00pm 2:00 pm 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm Transactions made after 5:00 pm ET will not be seen as a memo posted pending transaction until the next business day.
Juliet
August 22, 2013 at 4:19 pm
I have tried to make a deposit via the mobile app a numerous amount of times and the after taking the picture the app shuts down. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times as well. i have read the FAQs and there in no mention of this issue.
August 26, 2013 at 4:01 pm
Hi Juliet - We sent you an email to ask for your phone number because we haven't heard of this happening before and would like to have you speak with someone.
September 17, 2013 at 11:35 am
Hi Juliet - if you are on Android, we are working on that issue with our vendor. Thanks for letting us know.
Amil
August 23, 2013 at 10:40 am
Are you planning to make an app for Windows Phones?
August 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm
We are looking into that.
kat
August 23, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Can't find the app on my iphone or my ipad. What's the deal? Why would you put out an app with so many issues? Also sounds like you have lots of excuses why it doesn't work.
August 26, 2013 at 3:59 pm
Hi Kat, Did you do a search for Webster Bank in the app store? We have links to the 3 app stores here: https://www.websteronline.com/personal/products-services/online-services/personal-mobile-banking.html
Reg
August 24, 2013 at 7:55 am
As a sole proprietor the checks I receive are usually large. The $2,000/day and $2,500/10 days limits makes this feature useless to me. Any plans to change these limits?
August 26, 2013 at 3:57 pm
We're reviewing our limits for Business Banking customers and may adjust them to better suit their needs.
Seth
August 24, 2013 at 9:09 am
Dont use this feature ever. Its made for fancy white ladies to cash checks from their piano lessons so they can watch their stories and drink box wine without having to go to the bank. I live paycheck to paycheck as a state employee and recent college graduate, I used the app for my paycheck at 6 pm on Friday, now if I am to believe the fine print, I will not be getting any of my funds until Monday. You couldn't make it instant like Bank of America or any of the other baking apps with this feature? I get to spend the rest of my weekend eating food from cans. So thanks for that. I even tried to re cash the check using the ATM, thinking the photo of the check wouldn't even be examined until Monday, and whoever was working it up could see that the check had been cashed, and null the photo, but no! It brilliantly holds my check for the entirety of the weekend. To summarize: "...and the horse you came in on"
M. Prufrock
August 26, 2013 at 11:01 am
I had the exact same problem as Seth. It's probably our fault for not reading the fine print, but I was certainly pretty upset when I learned last Friday that my mobile deposit that I made around 6pm would not be available until today, Monday. I too spent the weekend eating ramen.
September 18, 2013 at 9:45 am
Here is the schedule for how our mobile deposits are handled. This should assist you for the next time you make a mobile deposit so you know when your funds will show up as ‘pending’ in your account. Please know that once you see the deposit as ‘pending’, it follows our same ‘Funds Availability’ guidelines. If the check that you deposit is considered ‘in territory’ then the check deposited would be available the next business day. If the check is considered ‘out of territory’ then the check would take two business days to be available. When our customers make mobile deposits, there are times when the system will record the deposit as “pending” in their account. The times our system will list your deposit as “pending” on business days are: 10:00 a.m. 12:00 p.m. 2:00 p.m. 4:00 p.m. 7:00 p.m. For example if you make a deposit at 6:00 a.m. on a Tuesday (non holiday and provided your image that you sent was approved), then you should see the deposit listed as “pending” by 10:00 a.m. that same day. However, if you make a mobile deposit after 5:00 p.m., the deposit will not be listed as pending until the next business day at 10:00 a.m. Also, if you makes a deposit on a non business day such as a weekend day or a holiday, then the deposit will not be listed as “pending” until the next business day. Let us know if you'd like us to give you a call. Thanks, Dawn
August 26, 2013 at 3:50 pm
Hi Seth, Webster makes funds available from checks deposited on the same schedule regardless of where they're made, with our App, via the ATM or in a Banking Center. Here's a link to the FAQ's to help with any other questions: http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ
Seth
August 24, 2013 at 9:33 am
Next time youre going to unveil a new feature for your app I strongly suggest you make sure its the real deal and not a beta that leaves people SOL with their finances. I know, its shiny and new and you can tap into that youth market companies so desperately crave with the kids and their walked mans and furbys and super nintendo, but please, next time, beta test that ish.
Classic
August 27, 2013 at 8:05 pm
I have an account with Webster and a few accounts with Bank of America. I find that Bank of America's snap deposit is much easier then Webster's. I have been trying for a half hour to get the thing to accept the pictures, I have no shadows and it is light so you can see them, it is also crystal clear and still it does not accept my deposit. Bank of America I snap it and it is done, money is available (200.00) of my deposit right away. I think Webster still needs to modify their snap deposit. Still has kinks.
September 18, 2013 at 9:42 am
We are sorry that you are having difficulty making deposits with our app. We will file a Voice of the Customer on your behalf and pass it onto our bank executives as well as the department that handles the mobile deposits. Here is a link to our mobile FAQ's that we hope can help you troubleshoot: http://bit.ly/MobileFAQ We'd also be happy to give you a call over the phone to troubleshoot.
Alyssa
August 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm
The app is great when it works. I often have to retake the photos multiple times and eventually it goes through. I have also tried to make deposits two days in a row and it declines the transaction saying I have reached my daily deposit limit when in fact I hadn't made any other deposits that day. Again, it's only convenient when it works.
September 18, 2013 at 9:40 am
Hi Alyssa, We are sorry to hear that at times you have difficulty using our mobile app and making mobile deposits. If you have an instance where it is telling you that you have reached your daily limit when you don’t believe you have, please contact us. Here are the initial limits on mobile deposits: Pay limit – Single check deposit amount limit - $2,000 Daily Amount Limit – Daily cumulative deposit amount limit - $2,000 Daily Count Limit – Daily cumulative deposited item count limit – 5 Multi-day Amount Limit* - Multi-day cumulative deposit amount limit - $2,500 Multi-day Count Limit* - Multi-day cumulative deposited item count limit – 10 Multi Day time period – 10 business days *You can deposit up to 5 checks in one business day, up to a total of $2,000. Over a 10 business day period, you can deposit up to 10 checks, up to a total of $2,500 We will file a Voice of the Customer on your behalf. This will be viewed and shared by our bank executives and the appropriate personnel. Here's a link to the product page which also has this information so you can access it easily: http://bit.ly/WBMoApp
Jill
August 29, 2013 at 7:06 pm
This would be great if it worked! I've tried to deposit checks several times and the grey "deposit" bar never allows me to submit. I've read the FAQs and nothing addresses this. Also, after I take the picture of the check it does not give me the option of accepting it or choosing to take another picture. Then if I try to retake the picture, it freezing my whole phone and I have to take out the battery and restart.
August 30, 2013 at 2:41 pm
Hi Jill, Thanks for the feedback. I asked our social service team to look into this issue, and they thought it would be the most helpful for you if you could talk so they can help you troubleshoot. Please give our rep, Toni a call at: 203-741-4789. Or you can email me at dmelesko@websterbank.com and send me your phone number and I'll have her call you. Thanks so much, Dawn
Betsy
August 30, 2013 at 8:46 pm
I was ecstatic when finally Webster Bank got hip to the instant deposit idea. After initially trying to get over the hurdle of being told numerous times to log into Websteronline first, finally I figured out what the problem was prior to reading this blog. So for that, poor job on Webster's part of not explaining that a little better. Then when I finally got on, apparently there is a limit on how much you can deposit, which again, I didn't read anywhere. Not quite there Webster.
September 18, 2013 at 9:37 am
Hi Betsy, We are pleased that you were excited about being able to make deposits through your mobile phone! However, we are sorry that you had a few issues initially when you wanted to start using mobile deposit. We will certainly file a Voice of the Customer report on your behalf about the problem you had when you first made a mobile deposit. The Voice of the Customer will be viewed and shared by bank executives as well as the appropriate department. We hope now that you have used mobile banking, you are enjoying its convenience. Here's a link to our product page that has the information about the limits: http://bit.ly/WBMoApp and below is taken directly from that page so you don't have to click. Mobile Deposit Limits You may deposit up to five (5) checks in one (1) business day, up to a total of two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) in one business day. Over a ten (10) business day period, you may deposit up to ten (10) checks, up to a total of two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500.00). To learn more about Mobile Deposit, see the Webster Mobile Deposit Terms and Conditions here: https://www.websteronline.com/disclosures/personal/P_WOLServices_9.html#RDC

Pages